Monday, July 30, 2012

Things I have learned

One of the joys of going on a missionary trip is learning new things. Here are some things that I have learned during my short stay in Madagascar:

Translating English hymns into French: I remember that I had the vision of going to Africa one day when I was in grade 9. So I decided to take IGCSE French, even though it was one of the dullest class in school. I never imagined that the Lord would use me to translate English hymns into French. With the help of a local sister, we have translated more than 15 songs.

Bargaining in Malagasy: Learning a new language is survival skills, I tell you. At first we bought groceries at the super market until we discovered the market. It's so much cheaper! I had to learn some Malagasy to bargain.

Teaching ESL to Elementary students: Being the shy person I am, I was terrified of teaching 15+ Malagasy students English every Wednesday and Saturday. But it's actually not that bad. I learned to use songs, games and questions to make my lessons interesting and interactive. At first, the students did not know any English at all, but they have learned some English to make conversation with the team members. Their progress is so encouraging.

How to cut a pineapple: In Fiji, I learned how to open a coconut. This time I learned to cut pineapples. Pineapples are cheap and sweet in Madagascar.

When trials sore, make yourself happy: Received a reminder? You know it's right but you're having a hard time accepting it? Buy yourself some pastry! I learned that the only person who can make you truly happy (apart from the Lord) is yourself. One of the biggest lessons I learned in this trip is to help yourself, make yourself happy so that you can make those around you happy.

Exercise: "Don't just try, DO!" This is one of the phrases that impacted me a lot during this mission trip. I've always wanted to exercise and lose weight. I would even spend time to plan my routine but I never do it at the end. But this time, I pushed myself to wake up at 6:30am to run up and down a hill for 30 minutes. Result: I lost 5 pounds. 5 more pounds to go!

Be yourself: After the recent revelation, I learned the importance of being humble and being yourself. Be happy! Laugh until your stomach hurts. Share your happy moment with everyone. Accept and love yourself because God loves you just the way you are.

2 comments:

uni said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS POST!!! Overjoyed for you! I can hear the heavens cheering with rounds of applause :P You brought a big grin to my face :D Keep it up!

Karen said...

Thanks! I'm overjoyed by your comment. May you experience the same joy as the Lord enjoys from Abba.