Friday, July 6, 2012

Tamatave

Day five. We woke up at the crack of dawn to get ready for our 8-hour journey to Tamatave, a town in the East coast of Madagascar. The local brothers and sisters came to help us carry our luggage to the taxi, and see us off at the bus stop. Blessed souls. I was touched by their affection and their willingness to help our way around town.

There is something riveting about Malagasy culture. Even at the wee hours of the morning, hawkers surrounded us offering an array of items –watches, snacks, sunglasses and even “blessings.” We kept saying no. But I must say that their persistence was admirable.  

Side note: It's funny that the local Malagasy brothers and sisters know more Cantonese than our brothers.

We’ve been previously warned that the journey would be bumpy and that most brothers and sisters throw up during the ride. I tried not to eat breakfast, and drank little water because it would be inconvenient to go to the washroom.

Turns out that the car ride was smooth and pleasant. I enjoyed watching the beautiful scenery –rolling lush hills against clear blue skies. Wild banana plantations. Rivers flowing through untamed land. And there was 80s/90s music playing in the background. You can't go wrong with that. Like one of the brothers commented, the driver had a pretty good taste. I found it quite befitting that one of Michael Jackson's old songs "We are the World" was playing in the background since we were going to Tamatave for a humanitarian cause. Hehe. 

At noon we stopped by for lunch. The restaurant was scanty, a bit too rustic for my taste. But the food was okay. They had only two items on the menu: beef and fish. For those wondering what Malagasy food is like...it's basically like Chinese food. A big heap of rice on a plate (by big, I mean humongous), and some meat and veggies as side dishes. It was a pretty good deal...$1.5 for a meal. Not bad. 

However, I’ve experienced a major culture shock during my first "African toilet experience." When the restaurant owner kindly showed me the toilet...I couldn't help myself but to look bewildered and ask..."that's it?" No hole? No latrine? There was nothing but planks of wood and the stench of urine on the floor. I quickly composed myself and yielded for necessity's sake. I must say that it was quite an experience. 

We arrived to Tamatave around 3:30pm. The local people gathered around, ready to unload our luggage and take us into their tricycles.

No comments: