Sunday, September 2, 2012

Obedience not Sacrifice

I went for a long stroll with a dear friend last Sunday.

We walked around Vancouver under the hot Summer blaze -Cambie bridge, False Creek to Olympic Village. We talked about our dreams, hopes and vision in life.

It was one of the most meaningful conversations I've ever had.

"Tell me about your dreams," he asked.

I told him about my dream of serving in the Music Ministry one day. I told him that I wanted to take singing lessons, and learn how to direct a choir because I saw the needs in Africa. I saw how music united people together. I told him about how I wanted to open a school for the poor, so that they could receive proper education, food, care and be raised in the presence of God.

He listened attentively and smiled.

As we were walking on Cambie bridge, he also told me about his dream of going to Africa and serving the poor there. But he still had to finish some things before going.

As we were walking down the bridge to False Creek he turned to me and said:

"The Lord wants our obedience and not sacrifice."

The comment caught me by surprise. I was telling him about my experience with the Lord -how He humbled my pride during my trip to Madagascar and how humility has changed my life.

I smiled and contemplated in silence as we walked down the stairs.

"Obedience not sacrifice," the words resonated through my mind.

We sat by the bench at Olympic village. He told me that as Christians, we have to pay a big price when we walk out the truth. Not many are willing to forsake the traditions of men and their pride to follow the truth. But the Lord treasures those who are willing to suffer for His name sake and the truth.

As our 2-hour conversation was coming to an end, I made a final request.

"Should we pray?"

"That Island attracts me so much."

"Should we go there?"

"Yes."

We walked to a small island near the shore. The ocean breeze blew on my face as we lifted our hands to pray.

"Lord, may you grant Karen's wish to open a school for you. You greatly bless her in her music ministry. Use her greatly."

I was completely engulfed in the presence of God. I have never felt His presence so strong before.

I rejoiced in the beauty of His holiness.

We prayed for this movement. We prayed for Africa. We prayed for the music ministry. We prayed for clarity of vision. We prayed for faithfulness and obedience.

"Lord, may you keep Karen until the end."

No comments: