Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Living with Intention

I am posting this assignment which contains pieces of me.

Who am I? 

I am introspective, compassionate and kind. Growing up amidst so much poverty in a third world country, I am socially conscious of the needs of others, especially children. When I was a child, I would often pass by street children and wonder why there was so much discrepancy in our lives. Why is there so much suffering in this world? How can we make a difference in their lives?

Unlike my parents who believe that success is measured by the money you make, I believe that success is measured by the difference you can make in people’s lives. Success is measured by love and faithfulness. I have strong religious values that motivate me to love those around me through actions. I am also very compassionate. Growing up as a Chinese in a Spanish country, I often found myself isolated and different from others. I have a soft spot towards outcasts and destitute people.

I am probably the most multicultural person you will ever meet. I am a Chinese with mixed Ancestry born in a Spanish speaking country (El Salvador). I am fluent in Spanish, English and Cantonese. I also speak some French (intermediate), German (beginner, reading level), Malagasy (beginner), and Mandarin (beginner). I have travelled to 16 countries, volunteered as a teacher in Fiji (for 3 Summers), South Africa (2 months) and Madagascar (2 months). I served as a President of a volunteering club at UBC called the Love Your Neighbour club, providing local and global volunteering opportunities to University students. I consider myself as a third culture kid, and I would be probably confounded if you asked me where is home.

I am poetic, talented, musical and passionate. Music and writing is what keep me alive at times. I love to write in my blog, serve as an editor for my church’s newsletter and a non-profit-organization website. I play the violin (advanced), guitar (intermediate), harp (intermediate) and I am currently receiving voice lessons from a worship educator and choral director. I am planning to learn how to conduct children choirs.

Where am I going?

In the short run, I am planning to find a job in the disabilities field (as an SEA or Career Preparation Instructor) so that I can gain valuable experience serving the community, teaching, interacting with children and adults. I am also planning to gain experience as a community developer so that I can apply those skills when I go work in third world countries. In the long run, I am planning to open a school in Spanish country or Africa. I want to help the poor to receive proper education and care so that they can achieve their dreams. I cannot remain apathetic when there is so many needs in this world. After my trip to Madagascar, I am determined to achieve this dream since I witnessed that education and love can make a big difference in a person’s life.

What challenges do I face? 

I am painfully shy. But I am working hard to overcome this weakness since I know that I will be working with people most of the time. I don’t like to talk but I am forcing myself to talk more. I also have issues with self-confidence because I have high expectations on myself. I also tend to be too hard on myself when I fail to meet my expectations. But I am trying to lower my expectations so that I can keep my feet grounded on reality.

How will I get where I am going? 

At this point, I need to work really hard to finish my CCSD programme. I am also working hard to acquire more skills that will be useful in the future to help people with disabilities. I am also working on improving my self-confidence by being more positive and pro-active in helping myself and others happy.

No comments: