Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Honduras that I never met

She held my hand and would not let go.

She led me downstairs to the main hall. We were sleeping over that night. The little girl, barely 3 years old, gave me a tour around the orphanage.

Situated in the lofty mountains of Reynel Funez, the orphanage serves as a home to 26 children aged 3 to 20. Many of these children were neglected and abandoned by their parents from a very young age. My heart was moved by compassion as I listened to their heart-breaking stories during our short visit.

"I lived in the cemetery. My parents would often bind me up and beat me up with chains."

She lifted up her shirt and showed us her scars.

Honduras is known for being the most violent country in the world. The country has been governed by corruption and political instability during this past decade. These problems, together with people's indifference has instilled an attitude of apathy towards these social problems.

There were scenes during my stay that stirred many feelings within me:

The teenage girl walking under the rain begging for money in the streets. 

The drunkard scavenging for food in the dumpster near the place we were staying. 

The silent pain and longing for love from the gaze of a child in the orphanage. 

There were moments of frustration as I saw this happening. I have seen poverty in El Salvador but to see such degree of poverty happening to our Honduran neighbours was quite overwhelming. And to see that the lack of education and opportunities trapped these youths into the poverty cycle was quite sad...to say the least.

I talked to Isaac and Olga, the home parents, during my last day in Honduras. I expressed my interest in opening a school in Central America with the purpose of preaching the gospel, and empowering students for change with quality education and good values. They said that there is a great need in Honduras. The educational system has been downgraded by the lack of resources and poor administration from the government. Teachers and students have been affected. Because teachers are not paid, there are no classes. And with no classes, there is no education. 

But I believe that there is hope. With God everything is possible. It was very encouraging to see that there are still good-hearted individuals like Isaac and Olga who are willing to sacrifice their life to offer a home to these girls. Their job is not easy, but they do everything out of love. They have inspired me to answer my calling. And if God has called me for His will, He will be responsible to the end.

We love because He first loved us (1John 4:19).


No comments: