Sunday, August 23, 2020

To experience the different facets of life

I grew up in a very religious community...where wearing nail polish was deemed wrong, using sleeveless shirts was provocative and listening to non-Christian music was worldly.

I lived in this kind of environment from age 12-23. I truly believed that by following God, reading the Bible every day and following the rules imposed by this community, I would live a full and glorious life.

Yet, deep down, I often felt suppressed and unfulfilled. The religious leaders would isolate me from my family members, become weirdly jealous when I attended other youth meetings and were just very controlling. 

Again, at a young age, I thought I was doing the right thing...leaving everything behind to follow Jesus. 

But as I became older, travelled more and met more people, I realized that this religious community was not normal. It was abusive. If I did not attend, say a Friday meeting, they would call and check on me. They did not respect my boundaries. They started asking for money. I didn't feel loved or supported. I felt used. 

So I left. 

I changed my phone number and stopped going to all meetings. 

I erased all my contacts from social media and quit cold turkey. 

To this day, I have not returned or contacted any members. 

It has been by far one of the most difficult things I have ever done. It took me every ounce of courage to leave. But it was worth it. 

I sincerely believe that Jesus does not want us to live a life of spiritual abuse. He gave us all freedom. Freedom to live life and choose our life paths. 

And I started to carve my own path, with its ups and downs, but I experienced freedom. 

I moved to Costa Rica and started from scratch. It was not easy but so liberating to finally live a life that I wanted.

I was able to attend Summer programmes in Cambridge and the School of Oriental and African studies in the UK. I am currently doing a Masters on International Education in the University of Bath. 

I went to Senegal and helped out on a project started by a Costa Rican and it was so interesting to experience another culture. 

I met a loving partner that supports me in all my dreams. He takes cares of me and loves me for who I am. We have a dream of traveling and working in different places while producing art and literature. 

I was able to experience the different facets that life has to offer...the good and the bad. I've experienced heartbreak, disappointment, joy, love but most of all freedom. 

Let no one take away your freedom...

For life is too short to live a life that others want you to live. 

No comments: