Saturday, October 1, 2011

Self-portrait

[A poetic sketch of the self]

When people ask me who I am,
I say,
I am fluid...
Clay in the outside,
Molten lava in the inside,
Melting as I travel,
to places,
to cultures,
to peoples,
to stories,
to memories,
solidifying into a myriad of emotions,
moments of existence,
an identity.

I am liquid,
flowing like a river.
I am
a cascading melody that sings through:
steep rocks,
high mountains,
deserts, meadows,
praires, forests,
clashing with the waves
of the mighty wide ocean.
I carry with me the
essence of existence,
dreams, hopes, joy,
strength to move mountains,
Faith.

I am fire,
Burning with desire,
Fervently crackling,
smothering, firing
the love dream
hidden in the
deepest crevice of my
heart.

I am a human soul.

There's a Volcanoe bursting inside of me;
A Fountain of joy that forever overflows
love
peace
and life in abundance.
He is my Source since the beginning.

Kandom note: You have to visualize the imagery to understand this poem. Flow with the words and structure. Read it from the bottom-up. Hint: Think of a volcanoe.

Inspiration: Modernist movement, GEOG 103, ANTH 100, my multi-cultural background, Chemistry, Brother Fish's song, Tori Amos.

No comments: